This morning we met with a lactation consultant. We were ready for a big decision to be made because the way things were going we really felt was unsustainable. She listened to our concerns and had me go ahead and feed LD. This was the first time we tried to feed him without the syringe supplementation since his first day home. I was able to pump enough milk yesterday so he only needed about an ounce and a half of formula and the rest of his needs were met by breastmilk, which actually felt pretty good. Granted I pumped a TON yesterday which is exhausting. This morning at the appointment LD nursed like a champ. We worked on his latch and actually found a less painful way to get him on. He nursed until he came off on his own and we weighed him to be sure he'd actually gotten enough, and sure enough he had. I feel better although we still have a few more hurdles to overcome. For now the plan is to cut back on the syringing and let him feed first thing in the morning without. The rest of his feedings we'll give him a set amount of syringe after he has time to feed without. I will continue to pump, but I don't have to be so strict as every 2 hours, the goal is to try to get 7-8 pumps every 24 hours, including at least one overnight pump, yeah that will be a fun one. I am going to start taking Fenugreek and Goat's Rue to help increase my supply as well. DH goes back to work on the 9th so we'll reassess how things are going in about a week or so. Hopefully he'll be nursing well and I can quit pumping, because right now I feel like I have twins. He was so content after nursing at the office that DH and I actually stopped and had lunch on the way home. Out in public. Don't worry the restaurant was basically dead so we didn't bring him into a crowded germy place. It felt so good to be out of the house and it helped to refresh me and make me ready to press on. At this point I'm not quite ready to give up. I'm stubborn if you can't tell and I really can't stand to give up on something that I truly wanted to succeed at. So for now we're giving it all we've got.
He's gaining weight like a champ so there's no danger that he's failing to thrive. He weighs over 7 pounds at this point so the pedi shouldn't be concerned on Friday at his checkup, he's gained back his birth weight and then some. Tomorrow he meets his grandma for the very first time and I know she's excited and we're excited to have another set of hands to help around the house!! :)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteYay!! It sounds like the BF is starting to work out for both of you! I hope it keeps getting easier for you guys.
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you that BFing is progressing! It's great to have proof that he gets something out of it! Good luck keeping it up!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a great appointment! You're doing a great job, mommy!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that it looks like you guys may have found the right track for breastfeeding. The potential challenges of trying to breastfeed with PCOS is definitely one of the stress points for me so it is great to read about what you are doing to try and make it work!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete