Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Heatwave and the Happiest Baby...

Today it was really, really, really hot here in the DC area. It's funny because since the beginning of my pregnancy people have commented on how sorry they feel for me since I'll be pregnant in the summer. After what we've been through I didn't care if I was pregnant, living on the equator, and outfitted in gear for an Antarctic expedition. Really. I'm pregnant and that's what is important. Of course this summer had to turn into one of the hottest summers on record. It's okay though, I spend my days in the air conditioned house, thankfully the air conditioning is working this week. Please air conditioning continue to work this week. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

When DH & I went to our babycare class they showed us an excerpt from The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD. It focused on the 5 S's and although we spent most of the time laughing about it and questioning some of them we found ourselves discussing it again last night and DH said it really would be nice to review them again. So today I did run out and check the DVD out of the library. We watched it tonight and it is really amazing to see the techniques basically turn off crying babies. So I think we feel more comfortable actually employing the techniques. I got the book too and plan to read that since I need something to read right now.

Today I woke up with a tender belly area. Yesterday Little Dude went crazy basically the entire day and night. He was kicking and punching and going nuts so I think that led to some of the soreness I was feeling. I think he also may have dropped. It's really hard to tell though. I can't see myself from anymore than one angle and DH says he sees me everyday so he can't really tell either. To me it looks like my belly starts lower. But from the top down maybe I'm imagining it. Tonight I'm still crampy and there's a little back ache going on.

To answer the hospital bag question, I used a carry-on sized rolling suitcase and LD's bag is a diaper bag. I didn't use a list to pack my hospital bag. I packed a robe, slippers, socks, pajamas, 2 pairs of clothes for DH, swim trunks for DH, snacks for DH, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, a tennis ball, speakers for our iPod, batteries, a heating pad, an icepack, 4 cloth diapers for LD, wipes for LD, and flip flops for the shower. In LD's bag I packed the other 14 cloth diapers, 2 going home outfits, a wetbag to put dirty diapers in, and a muslin swaddling blanket.

LD Watch 2010: I think he dropped, crampy, back ache...