Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Six Weeks to Go...

Six weeks until the Dude's due date!! Of course a due date is just a guide, but OMG 6 weeks!! This weekend we had our first prenatal visit with our doula. She is so amazing!! We just feel so much more calm and strong when she's around. My DH is so thankful that we found her and we're including her in our special day. This week our goal is to work on our birth plan so I can go over a copy with my OB on Thursday. I wasn't planning on doing a birth plan because I didn't want to set my expectations in a certain way and end up disappointed. Now I've realized that it's more an outline of what we desire during the birth, but we know full well things can take us in a different direction and that's ok. We're open to that. So I've started a rough draft and I'm working through the really important things.

In hair loss news I had an appointment with a dermatologist today after sending my OB an email last week asking if hair loss was normal. My OB did say it could be normal but referred me to a derma anyway. The dermatologist was so sweet and she said she really thinks it's just a pregnancy thing. I had my TSH and iron levels checked again this morning just to ensure everything is still where it should be. Apparently anemia can lead to hair loss too, so it's possible my previous low iron levels could be the cause.

Little Dude has been be-bopping away in there. It's so amazing how much stronger he's gotten!! The other night while laying in bed he full force let out a kick or a punch, hard to tell which is which, and I was astonished by the force!! It's also weird to see a limb pop out of your stomach. :) We had our breastfeeding class on Saturday. It was only 2 1/2 hours and was mostly the instructor sharing her own breastfeeding experiences. I was hoping to feel more ready after the class, but I'm not sure I'm quite there yet. Luckily our doula plans to stick around for 2 hours after LD's arrival to help start the breastfeeding process. There are also supposedly lactation consultants available at the hospital so hoping to get it all started as best we can before going home. During our last child care class, given by our insurance company, the nurse suggested that we stay at the hospital for 48 hours. She said just tell the doctor when they come to discharge you at 24 hours, that you'd rather stay another 24 hours. I looked at DH immediately and told him absolutely not. He doesn't quite get my reluctance to stay but, I'm the one who has to sleep at the hospital and I know I'll be more than ready to bring Little Dude home within 24 hours of giving birth. So bring on the next 40 so days...