Friday, October 2, 2009

Let the Countdown Begin

In six short days I begin the first of my injections for this IVF cycle. At this point I'm feeling completely different from how I felt last time we did IVF. Last time I was so full of hope, so sure I would be pregnant in 4 weeks, so sure this procedure we saw as our last chance was going to deliver what we were hoping for. I mean they gave us a 67% chance of success, our chance that it wouldn't work was smaller than our chance it would. For the first time the odds were stacked in our favor. There was so much excitement surrounding the process, even though I had no idea what to expect, which can be pretty scary sometimes. This time I feel no anticipation. I've been waiting, expecting it to start but I feel no joy. If there's some hope inside me it's being held at bay by the fear that is gripping every part of me. I'm scared. Terrified actually. I'm afraid to get invested in this process. I don't think we can handle another loss. Throughout these years battling infertility I've learned that the higher you let your hopes and expectations escalate, the more invested you become in the process, the higher you have to fall and the harder you hit the ground when things don't work out. I sense that DH feels all of the things I'm feeling now too. He's trying to put on the strong face, to project some hope things will work, but behind the facade I sense the fear. For the first time in this process, he's scared. Usually he's the one who is so sure it's going to work. So sure the baby is fine. So sure we've survived infertility. But this time he's reserved. He's where I draw my strength from in my darkest hours, in my weakest moments, but when I seek strength this cycle I sense there just isn't as much available. We're bracing ourselves. Steeling ourselves against disappointment. I hate that infertility has done this to us. I don't want to feel hopeless, desperate, lost. I don't want to feel like this may not work. I don't want fear to drown hope. Yet that's where we are. Six days from the begining.

6 comments:

  1. I'll be there with you. I expect to start the meds in six days too. Let's hold hands and brace ourselves together, but HOPE it all turns out in the best possible way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know what you mean. I was so psyched for IVF#1, sure it was the magic elixir. It became obvious pretty early on, with only one follie developing, that it would not be. It's so hard to come to terms with the holy grail of ART not being a slam dunk. I can already tell I'll be going into IVF#2 (probably in November) like a zombie, which is maybe good.

    But you have a great chance again this cycle. Sending you tons of P&PTs that this IVF is your magic cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be praying for you guys, I hope everything works out and you guys finally get what you've been dreaming for. Keep in touch and let me know how your doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take it day by day... IVF can be very overwhelming. Remember, you don't wait to stress out your embies once they are put back in.. So, easier said than done.. but try everything you can to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you prayers and happy thoughts for this next cycle. And remember that you have us to lean on when you and DH need an extra shoulder...
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies!! It's great to have people who truly understand!!

    ReplyDelete