
So yesterday morning as DH & I are getting ready to leave for the clinic I ask him if he still has my driver's license from retrieval on Monday. He's responsible that's why I gave it to him Monday instead of lugging my purse in for the retrieval. Of course he thinks he gave it back to me, I lose EVERYTHING so I'm an easy target when something is missing. Only this time, it's not my fault. After a few minutes of frantic searching we decide my FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE PHOTO ID CARD should be appropriate. We get to the clinic and they call us back and hand us the foot booties to cover our feet, simultaneously the nurse asks for our photo IDs. I hand her my work ID and she says no I need your driver's license. My heart sinks. I explain how DH lost my license after retrieval on Monday and point out that this is a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID. She says she'll ask the doctor but she doesn't think this will work, I need a STATE ISSUED PHOTO ID. Of course the doctor has two other patients to see before she can tell us that my work ID won't work. Keep in mind the paperwork from our clinic vaguely states you need a photo ID. Not a STATE ISSUED PHOTO ID, there are no examples given as to what type of ID is appropriate, no guide about ID that cannot be accepted. My clinic helps patients from all over the world, so I know that their requirement for a STATE ISSUED PHOTO ID wouldn't apply to every patient. After about 20 of the worst minutes of my life the nurse tells us if I have a passport that will be ok. So 45 minutes back home to pick up my passport, thankfully I was a flight attendant in a previous life and actually have a passport because infertility treatments certainly don't leave much money to be an international jetsetter. So the entire 45 minutes I said not one word to DH, who I know felt terrible, but I just couldn't forgive him. My embryos were being held hostage by my infertility clinic because they didn't want to accept a GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID, they sent me home to retrieve another GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID, yes my passport was issued by the STATE DEPARTMENT, but it's the UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF STATE-A FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ENTITY, not the VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF STATE. So you can accept a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID, but only if it's a passport??? Oh and did I mention that as I was leaving the house the first time I grabbed a 32 ounce Gatorade which I proceeded to drink on the way to the clinic? So by this time I drank my 32 ounces of Gatorade by 9:15am and we're on our way back to the clinic for the second time, a 45 minute drive, and it's already 11:00am. My bladder is so full I almost have to puke. We get back to the clinic and they check my passport and I am who I say I am and we're given our paper booties back and led to our ultrasound room. Again there are two patients ahead of us. By this time I'm almost passing out because my bladder is so full. The nurse said I could go empty it a little, very little. So I tried. I was afraid that the feeling of sweet release would lead to a full empty so I didn't empty too much. We waited another 25 minutes the pressure on my bladder building immensely. All the while DH was complaining about how bad he had to pee, I was like WTF???? Are you kidding me???? You are not allowed to pee until we get home, you lost my license now I have to be punished with a full bladder. DH had about 12 ounces of liquid from a soda in his bladder vs. my 32 ounces. Yeah sounds like you really have to pee dear. Not happening. Finally the doctor was ready for us. When my bladder emerged on the ultrasound screen there it was, Lake Superior. It was probably even bigger than Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes. The ultrasound tech commented that I have a teacher's bladder, apparently most teacher's she sees hold it all day so they have big bladders. I said mine is from my public restroom phobia. I prefer to pee in the privacy of my own home, which was a rule I of course had every intention of breaking once the transfer was done. As I said yesterday we transferred two little embryos and I'm hoping they settle in for the long haul.
I want to take a moment to point out that I both understand and appreciate the requirement of a valid photo ID. I'd rather not have someone else be given my embryos and I'd rather not be given someone else's, so it is not the fact that photo ID is required that caused me such heartburn, it's the previously unstated requirement that it be a STATE ISSUED, unless of course it was a FEDERAL GOVERMENT ISSUED passport. Not a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED EMPLOYEE PHOTO ID. I am in no way trying to insinuate that my clinic whose paperwork simply states PHOTO ID or my nurse who simply says PHOTO ID should possibly clarify this unstated requirement to patients so they don't end up with more stress on transfer day than they already had. DH has to take some responsibility for losing my license too, good thing I take Metro to work because I won't be driving again until I can clear my schedule enough to have time to go to the DMV. :(
This morning I experienced a fresh wave of anxiety. I bled for 3 days after my retrieval, which was in stark contrast to last time when I didn't bleed at all. My nurse said it was ok so I didn't worry too much. I had stopped by Friday so felt all would be fine with transfer. Yesterday afternoon and evening were fine no blood. This morning when I put in my progesterone suppository there it was, blood. Now I'm terrified. Pretty sure it's too soon for implantation bleeding. The paperwork from the clinic says I can expect spotting or light bleeding between transfer and pregnancy test, but I feel like they meant a few days after, not the next day. I did start the Lovenox(blood thinner) last night and wondering if maybe that could have something to do with it. I'm trying to keep it together and remain calm, but if the bleeding doesn't stop soon I might fail at that task.
Oh and one last funny fact we did our transfer on Halloween and our first beta is Friday the 13, should I be worried about that too???
I want to take a moment to point out that I both understand and appreciate the requirement of a valid photo ID. I'd rather not have someone else be given my embryos and I'd rather not be given someone else's, so it is not the fact that photo ID is required that caused me such heartburn, it's the previously unstated requirement that it be a STATE ISSUED, unless of course it was a FEDERAL GOVERMENT ISSUED passport. Not a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED EMPLOYEE PHOTO ID. I am in no way trying to insinuate that my clinic whose paperwork simply states PHOTO ID or my nurse who simply says PHOTO ID should possibly clarify this unstated requirement to patients so they don't end up with more stress on transfer day than they already had. DH has to take some responsibility for losing my license too, good thing I take Metro to work because I won't be driving again until I can clear my schedule enough to have time to go to the DMV. :(
This morning I experienced a fresh wave of anxiety. I bled for 3 days after my retrieval, which was in stark contrast to last time when I didn't bleed at all. My nurse said it was ok so I didn't worry too much. I had stopped by Friday so felt all would be fine with transfer. Yesterday afternoon and evening were fine no blood. This morning when I put in my progesterone suppository there it was, blood. Now I'm terrified. Pretty sure it's too soon for implantation bleeding. The paperwork from the clinic says I can expect spotting or light bleeding between transfer and pregnancy test, but I feel like they meant a few days after, not the next day. I did start the Lovenox(blood thinner) last night and wondering if maybe that could have something to do with it. I'm trying to keep it together and remain calm, but if the bleeding doesn't stop soon I might fail at that task.
Oh and one last funny fact we did our transfer on Halloween and our first beta is Friday the 13, should I be worried about that too???
Omgoodness.. I couldn't breathe from laughing so much.... RELAX! One day you are going to look back on this whole photo issue and laugh....hopefully :). Don't worry about the bleeding.. with the sups. and the injections you are going to bleed a little easier than others. You could always call your RE's office if you are concerned. Fingers and toes crossed for you!
ReplyDeleteYikes! What an ordeal. You must have been so stressed out on the drive back to retrieve the ID.
ReplyDeletePositive thoughts coming your way from my end...
Nope, any bad luck associated with Halloween transfer would be negated by the Friday the 13th beta, thus creating a "bad luck black hole" which everyone knows is a total good luck situation.
ReplyDeleteOh I hope you can laugh about the ID situation some day. The bladder situation, however, is not funny and your DH got what he deserved for that. ;)
ReplyDeleteThe 13th is my birthday. It's always been a good day!
Good luck and lots of positive thoughts!