Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Power of a Peestick...

Abso-freaking-lutely nothing in my mind. Yet it's rocked my world to the core. To those anxiously wondering whether I broke down and tested or not, let the suspense dissipate: pee stick showed two lines on Sunday afternoon. Sorry I held out on everyone. It's the weirdest feeling to pee on a stick, have it tell you you're pregnant, and really feel nothing. I've peed on sticks before, they've said I was pregnant before, yet I've never made it past nine weeks. A pee stick does not have the power to tell you the viability of a pregnancy, bring on the betas for that one. Even those are far from infallible. I didn't know how to approach this post, hence why it's taken me two days to bring myself to write it. I don't want to sound bitter or selfish. I'm in a state that so many women I know are dying to be in, I'm pregnant. And that's why I didn't want to post this post. I don't want to make those women who would give anything to be where I am right now so angry they start to hate me, I don't want to hurt anyone. I don't want them to think I'm ungrateful. But to anyone whose ever lost a baby, and anyone whose lost more than one baby, how do you ever feel the joy of pregnancy again? I'm in this state where I'm almost not believing I'm pregnant, and the brief moments I do let myself give in to the reality I find myself wondering how long it will last. I hate this. I want to be one of those women who pee on a stick and tell the whole world she's pregnant. I want to run to Carter's and buy a closet full of baby clothes today and not have to return them in a few weeks. I want to order a crib and rearrange my guest room back into the nursery it's supposed to be...but I can't. I want to go to work and tell my boss I'm out of there, I'm going to be a stay at home mom. I want to plan for a trip next year to introduce the new baby or babies to all of the new grandparents. I want to plan for a future that includes our new addition(s) that won't need to be edited later due to tragedy. But I can't. I have to take this day by day, moment by moment. I haven't even taken the time to figure out when the little one(s) would be due. It's all too overwhelming to think about. I've done it before, planned it all out. Twice. And it never came to pass. I know I'm not the only one who is feeling this anxiety, trepidation, or uncertainty. DH didn't know what to say when I told him, except we'll take this one day at a time. My mom is visiting right now and she's basically ignored that I even took the test. The excitement is so hard to muster. I want this baby(ies) more than anything in the world, as does DH and my mom, but I think it's hard to shake the old fool me once, fool me twice feeling. I'm telling myself it will be different. I'm trying to maintain a positive state of mind. I'm working as hard as I can to keep the dark thoughts at bay. This time it will be different. This time it must be different. This time, please oh please, let it be different.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats sweetie, just take it a day at a time. I'm really praying it all works out for you this time and that you don't have to suffer anymore losses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a lurker for some time.
    First off:Congrats. I understand why you might not want to rejoice in two pink lines right now. I felt the same way after my miscarriage. You can never have that joy from the first time over again. But take it one day at a time. You'll get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy for you, and although I may not understand exactly what you are feeling, I do not hold it against you. I applaud your resiliance and your tenacity. You are strong and your rock and I am thrilled for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you but I completely understand every one of your words. But my body has only betrayed me once, I can't imagine 2 (or more) times like you have been through. Only time can calm your fears and I hope and pray that is exactly what happens. It sucks that you will spend the next who knows how many weeks just wishing the time to pass faster so you can feel closer the arrival of your miracle(s). Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I hope & pray that these little ones make it through the long haul! You deserve it after all you've been through already.
    --Kelly P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!! I'm so excited for you and I'll be praying that this is your time and that you have a health and happy 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Hoping for a wonderful beta and 9months to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I know exactly how you feel. Everyone on the outside can be happy for you, but when you've gone through recurring miscarriages, the joy of a positive pee stick is so overshadowed by the thought of how long will it last? After three miscarriages, I can't even be excited for the next BFP, but all I can do is pray and know that it is in the Lord's hands.

    I will truly say prayers for you. Just know that, although you may not feel the joy like the first BFP, we are all feeling the joy for you and will continue to be here for you along the journey. Totally happy for you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know exactly how you feel too, Kari. I almost feel like I'll be furious at those 2 pink lines if I ever see them again. They've toyed with me before and I'm not going to fall for it easily next time. But it is happy news, you need to go through those 2 lines to get to the other side. One of these times it'll work for you, I believe it truly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic news! And I understand your worry but all we can do is take one day and one step at the time. Today: CONGRATULATIONS!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kari - I can't relate because I've never been pregnant but I can quasi-understand why you would be afraid and worried and upset and frustruated. What you have had to endure is simply unimaginable and unfair. It's not fair to have so much joy in your life squashed weeks later.

    Of course I truly hope that you have your sticky bean and we'll all be seeing photos of your baby(ies) in 9 months :)

    Lots of love to you and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry that you have had to go through this, and that it has ruined your ability to just rejoice in this miracle. Don't worry about what the rest of us think - just take care of yourself, one day at a time. I'll be praying - and sending LOTS of sticky vibes - to you, DH, and your baby(ies). (((HUGS)))
    Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  13. One day at a time is right! Hoping and praying that these little beans stick! (((HUGS))) (and Congrats!).

    ReplyDelete