Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Burn Only A Mother Could "Love"...

I've refrained from posting little happy dances about how Lovenox wasn't all that bad. I was dreading starting the shots after reading all over the internet it was a horrible drug that bruises you all over and burns worse than sticking your hand on an iron. The first day I was surprised that it really wasn't that bad. Don't get me wrong I iced my skin for 10 minutes before even attempting to inject and iced it for a few after. It's not a quick stinging burn like Menopur. It doesn't hurt going in but by the time you pull the needle out a deep burn begins. It only lasts a few minutes and really isn't that bad. I expected worse. I'd done three shots with nothing but small red dots to show for it, no bruises, no real lasting pain. Until tonight... Tonight I hit a bleeder. The shot was a little painful tonight, which told me something wasn't quite right but I kept going anyway. It's hard enough to stick yourself once, but to pull it out and stick yourself again? No thanks. Let's just keep plugging away with the first stick, power through the pain. I finished the injection, counted to 10 to ensure all the liquid was out and away from the skin, and pulled out. Out spurted the blood. Since the first three shots were so uneventful I didn't have anything around to clean up the Old Faithful Geyser of blood spurting out of my stomach. I had to use the pillowcase I'd wrapped my ice pack in to wipe up all the blood and put pressure on my wound. Now the pillowcase isn't dirty, but it's certainly not sterile. My faithful kitty companions just stared disinterestedly at my personal crisis. They support me, in a purely we're physically here but emotionally detached manner usually. The big orange one is a little angry with me because I've banished him from his favorite napping spot, my lap. I worry he'll heat the babies up too much so I shoo him away everytime he tries to snuggle in for a snooze. I'm so mean. Anyway not sure who put the word LOVE into Lovenox. I'm not in love with it, that's for sure. I will do it fully hoping that it helps me achieve my dream and I won't bitch about it after this little vent but needed to get my 2 cents in. And I wanted to share the sight that I woke up to this morning:




My Pre doesn't take the best pictures but it's actually a raised bruise/road-rashy looking thing. Not attractive at all. I hope things don't continue to go down hill with the Lovenox from here. It's all worth it though. My IVF 2 week waits are a little different than 2 week waits I've had with outher treatments. Considering myself PUPO(pregnant until proven otherwise) puts me so much closer to pregnant than peeing on a stick and seeing a BFN, so I avoid peeing on a stick. I'd rather be PUPO than BFN. I don't even want to pee on a stick. The thought of finding out makes me anxious. In my case being pregnant makes me anxious anyway, after 2 losses how else can you be but anxious? So I want to spend my 2 week wait blissfully avoiding the pee sticks. DH leaves for Asia next week for 2 weeks though so I have a feeling there's a pee stick looming in my future.

8 comments:

  1. OWWWWWWCH!! Bleeders are the worst! ;-P Hope that one was just a fluke...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouchie! I hope that's the worst of it and that the rest of the shots go much better. I won't be POAS either during this TWW. I just can't stand to see another BFN on a test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Hope that feels better soon. Good luck avoiding peeing on a stick, or good luck peeing on a stick, whichever you choose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - that looks like it sucks!!! You just posted my absolute worst nightmare. Before infertility, I was a big freakin' wuss and could not even manage blood-draws and needles. Now I'm cool with injections but .... I haven't hit a bleeder yet.
    I can 100% guarantee if I do, I will be passed out cold on the floor.
    So your post above just made my blood run cold.

    Anyway, enough about me, I hope that this dosen't ever happen to you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh NOOOO! I am going to be doing those soon too.. yikes! I hope they start treating you better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a serious battle scar. Clearly you are one tough momma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!! OW!!!!

    There's a pic on LOL cats that just completely cracks me up and reminds me of this story! I'll post it on my blog for ya. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pardon the assvice, and you may already be doing this, but just in case you're not...I've found that injecting the Lovenox very slowly - and I mean obnoxiously slowly, like 20-30 seconds if you're on 40 ml, 45-60 seconds if you're on 80 - also helps with reducing the amount of burning.

    And, most importantly of all, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete