Parenting A Fabulous Toddler After A Struggle With Infertility and Pregnancy Loss
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
In Between A Rock and A Very Hard Icky Place...
Ugh, I'm in a place that I didn't want to be. I'm normally a pretty healthy individual, aside from my broken reproductive tract. I don't do pain meds and I rarely get sick so I don't do cold/flu or other OTC meds either. Sure I did so many drugs to make a baby, but I didn't have a choice. After both of my retrievals I didn't take pain meds and I especially didn't need the Vicodin I was given. I would rather just muscle through the pain than put drugs in my body. But last night I did not sleep. Again. I did the Neti pot(twice), I did Breathe Right strips, I put Vick's Baby VapoRub under my nose, I put a warm mist humidifier right next to my bed, I propped up my pillows to almost sitting position, I tried the steam in the shower trick...all to no avail. Still no sleep. Yesterday morning my OB's nurse told me I could take Sudafed or Chlor-Trimeton. Being against meds I wanted to avoid those at all costs. I don't want to expose my baby to something that could possibly cause harm. But today I'm stuck. I am out of sick leave at work, thanks IVF x 2. For some reason by 7am I'm so exhausted I readily fall asleep, except I start work at 8am. So that doesn't work. This morning I called in for half a day so I could sleep for a few hours this morning, but tomorrow that isn't an option. I Googled Sudafed and pregnancy. Yep, scared me. It's category C but it seems that it's widely accepted for use after the first trimester. Yet I'm still leery. Chlor-Trimeton is category B, so safer and I didn't see any real scary stories regarding that. It's an allergy med though so I'm not sure how helpful it will be at decongesting me. According to the nurse in her opinion it works better than Sudafed. I guess I will give it a shot. Out of desperation. I can't help but feel like I'm failing my baby. Like I'm being weak. But I'm stuck. If I stay in my job until the end of March I will be vested. I will get to keep all the money they have put towards my retirement, and it's not really a small sum. Not to mention I will be getting paid to be here. But I can't work if I can't sleep. I am beside myself. DH does not help. He is happily sleeping away all night and it irks me. I know this isn't his fault but yesterday he had the nerve to get all whiny about how I didn't make dinner. I, according to him, sat around all day while he worked. Are you f&*(&$*#&(^&* kidding me???? I seriously wanted to slap him. I don't promote domestic violence or condone it, but WTF? I got 4 hours of sleep. Spent the entire day scouring the internet for safe non-medical ways to remedy my congestion that couldn't possibly harm our baby. I worried and fretted about having no choice but to quit my job before April when we had planned for me to. I worried and fretted about the financial repercussions that decision would entail. I worried about what would happen to our baby if I had no choice but to take the drugs. This morning he wakes up and says, "You're not going to work again?" Exapseration clearly evident in his voice. "You need to at least go in this afternoon." He just does not get it. I am the person who is solely responsible for the well being of the child that I carry inside me. Every decision I make directly affects the health and well being of this child. The responsibility is enormous. So yeah I didn't get a chance to make dinner, sorry. All night I sit around mulling over what is going to happen if I never sleep again. I worry about the baby. I worry about myself. I worry about my job. So now despite the fact that it kills me inside I think I have to turn to medicine to help me sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ohh sweetie! I wish had some advice for you. I hope that you find a remedy. Guys just don't understand...
ReplyDeleteOh gosh Karrie!!! you sound so frustruated. I wish I could just give you a big huge hug.
ReplyDeleteI know how misearable this can be. I think, for me at least, it's gotten worse the colder it is. And we're in for a doozie the next few days.
I don't like taking OTC meds either but here is what I did and it's helping a little.
I take on Claritin (which was ok'd by my OB) right before bed and I use a humidifier (but it's not the warm air kind) and I put it right by my bed. And I sleep sitting up. I had a pretty icky cold 2 weeks ago when I got back from California and I was misearable!!! It went away after 5 days but I didn't sleep and I just wanted to die.
I hope you feel better soon and try the Claritin :)
This will sound gross, but the following mixture always clears me out for several hours at a time:
ReplyDeleteone garlic clove, mashed
one teaspoon of honey
one half of a lemon, squeeze out the juice
hot sauce (I load up about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon)
Put all those ingredients into one mixture and swallow. When I am really congested, sometimes my ears leak a bit of fluid after this dose.
Yup, you might get a stomach ache, but I will almost guarantee that your head will be cleared out. And you might reek a bit from the garlic.
Hope you are feeling better soon.
I really hope the medicine works well for you and that you get some great sleep tonight. You are doing a GREAT job at keeping your baby safe and loved!
ReplyDeleteI can feel your pain! I had a couple of terrible colds during pregnancy and they were awful. I did take Benadryl (which doesn't help congestion, but does help you sleep.) And, I broke down and took a couple of sudafed. When I was in the second trimester and only at night to get some relief. And I took half of the recommended dosage. It really was miserable.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing to look for is called the Neilmed Sinus Rinse Bottle (sold at walgreens I think), it's like the neti pot, but you acutally gently squeeze water into your sinuses/nose. I would do that a few times a night and get some relief. Hang in there! And the husbands don't really understand sometimes!