Monday, January 18, 2010

Maternity Madness & Crib Craziness...

I haven't fit into my work pants comfortably since about eleven weeks. I'm fourteen weeks today. So I've been walking around work with my pants more and more unzipped and unbuttoned each week. Finally this weekend I decided it was time to trek into the world of maternity wear. I'm only planning on working about two more months, I am lucky and we're able to afford me being a stay at home mom. Especially blessed after facing 2 1/2 years of expensive IF treatment. I didn't want to shell out a lot of money on maternity work wear for two months. I wear a uniform two days a week so I figured a few pairs of maternity pants should be good. Once I quit working I'll schlep around in some drawstring pants from pre-pregnancy and all should be good. I checked out the internet and Old Navy had some cute, inexpensive good work pants. I decided I should try them on as I had no idea what size to get and went to my local store that carries maternity. They had like 2 racks of maternity clothes. Really? I know the market probably isn't that big but c'mon we preggos need clothes too. The Old Navy clerk referred me to their website, "They have the best selection." Except I can't try them on and if I buy them and they don't fit I have to pay to return ship them back to Old Navy. :( I did pick up some soft casual long sleeve t-shirts for less than $1.50, bargain score. Today I ended up in Motherhood Maternity at the local mall and found a few cute pairs of pants that will do. Thank goodness DH was with me. Apparently you can't return sale items and regular priced items can only be exchanged for ten days. Really? That's nuts. I am well known for my fickleness. I will try something on in the store and love it, get home, try it on again, and it's not what I want at all. Luckily that should be the only stuff I have to buy from there.

This weekend we also went on a crib hunting mission. After consulting the ultimate Baby Bible, Baby Bargains, we felt armed with the knowledge to choose the safest and best crib for us. Hahaha that's a good one. This is one of the most overwhelming decisions I've ever tried to make. One problem is dark nursery furniture is apparently in. Big time. The two stores we visited had more dark finished cribs than I have ever seen. Our nursery is painted Baby Bee Yellow with oak floor, natural wood furniture, and oak furniture. We want a nice hardwood crib with a light finish. Apparently it is not the season for light or natural wood finishes. Who would have thought choosing a crib would be so complex?

4 comments:

  1. I hear you on the maternity clothes selection. Especially if you need long inseam pants like me! I went on the Old Navy website and combined with Gap and spent over $800! That was because I ordered everything in two sizes and definitely more styles than I will ever keep. I figured if I had to pay for return shipping I might as well go all out! I wonder how much the final bill will be... we'll see Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, your weekend sounded exactly like ours :) Armed with Baby Bargins we trekked through 3 crib stores :)
    This might be a trek for you, but USA Baby in Richmond has a ton of ligher wood cribs ... they have like 200 cribs in that store. It was unbelieveable. Also, you might want to try Great Beginnings in Gaithersburg. I haven't been there yet and I don't think the selection is very large, but it might be worth a shot.
    BTW ... I just found out that the crib I want will take 4 months to get here ... good thing we're looking so soon, right? I'd be stressed out if I wasn't getting my crib until mid-Summer!
    Oh, and the Baby Gap in Fair Oaks mall has a decent maternity selection. I also heard a (rumor) that H&M has maternity at the Metro Center store only.
    GL!
    ... we should get together for tea (or decaf coffee) one day ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah to the baby belly! I always imagine my first materinty shopping trip...maybe one day. cheers to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy maternity clothes shopping...you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete