Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Randomness Repentance & Up All Night...

This is the crib we ended up getting, it's the Dutailier Camille. It's not actually that caramel color, it's natural finish so it's a lot lighter. I'll post pictures as soon as we get it set up in the nursery, which I hope is this week because it's sitting in our living room right now unassembled and wrapped in saran wrap that my cats find absolutely tasty.

Lately I've been feeling really bad about my blog. It used to be funny, snarky, but humorous. I was proud of it and people seemed to enjoy it. Since our pregnancy it's sort of taken a different turn. One of the pregnancy side effects no one really talks about is how your mind just really shuts down. I totally feel like someone else. I can't focus, my thoughts are a mess, I just feel totally out of it. I realize my posts lately have been all scrambled and random. It kind of makes me wonder how pregnant women of the past survived. If I was living in a hunter-gatherer society I think a saber tooth tiger would easily snatch me while I was out on my daily gathering chores. It's like my brain has gone into hibernation. I would have expected to be more acute, more on point, more aware to protect this growing baby and myself, but it's been the opposite. I promise to try to make my blog more interesting. I knew I'd lose some readers because I went from an IF blog to a pregnancy blog, but I think I've lost more just out of sheer boredom. I even get bored reading it. I'm going to stop writing when I'm doing other things so I can focus my full attention on the task at hand.

All day yesterday my nose was a mess. It was runny and I was sneezy, like allergies minus the itchy eyes. By the late afternoon it had become congestion. I haven't had a fever, cough, or sore throat so I was pretty caught off guard by this sudden congestion. By bedtime it had somewhat eased. Until I climbed into bed. I could not breathe. I paced the house and cried for a while hoping that would help turn the congestion into a runny nose. You can sleep with a runny nose. The hours ticked by and I got more and more desperate. I combed the internet for safe treatments. Of course being pregnant those are quite limited. By midnight, after the shower steam didn't help, I had come to the conclusion that I needed some saline nasal spray. The only saline nasal spray in the house is some I have for my cat, he has a lot of nose issues. I wasn't about to stick nose spray I've used in my cat's nose into my nose. So at midnight I bundled up and headed to the pharmacy. Apparently around here on the weeknights when the bars close people head to Walgreens. There were all sorts of characters at Walgreens and I was actually a little afraid. Nasal saline spray didn't end up helping by the way. Nothing did. I slept about three hours. Today I went to the store and grabbed any and everything I thought could offer assistance tonight in case it's just as bad. I got Breathe Right strips, a warm mist humidifier, Baby Vick's Vapor Rub, a Neti pot, and plenty of tissues with lotion. Please, please, please let something help. The Neti pot freaks me out a little, it's a teapot that you fill with warm water and dump into your nostril to clean out your sinuses. Weird, yes. If it works I'm all for it. Apparently after some research today this congestion is a common thing, pregnancy rhinitis. Yet another thing no one tells you about pregnancy.

6 comments:

  1. Ugggh! I had the exact same thing happen last week! I went home one night with a headache and ended up with an awful cold. Well, I'm afraid it's that pregnancy rhinitis thing but I'm banking on a cold - I have to get better! I am feeling a little better so I'm hopeful. The worst part is sleeping - I found two tylenol and a breathe right did wonders, although not compared to my usual NyQuil cold binges! I know a lot of people won't even take tylenol but I had to in order to sleep. Feel better soon and nice crib! What brand is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon! I've heard nothing but great things about the Neti Pot so I hope it works wonders for you too. BTW, your blog is not boring at all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better soon and that it's not pg related! The Neti Pot freaks me out, but my husband swears by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crib is GORGEOUS! That's the style we want too. I love that it turns into a bed later!
    Your blog is not boring at all, but I know how you feel. It's hard to get everything in your head in order and type it out right now. So many things going on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove the crib you chose - do you remember whether it comes in white? ;-)

    Hope you're feeling better (or start to feel better soon)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, first off, I don't find your blog boring at all. I really enjoy reading along :) And I completely LOVE the crib it's beautiful!

    Lastly, I'm having the same probs with the nose. I gave up and bought a cold-air humidifier for the living room and the bedroom. It's a pain in the ass to continue filling but it seems to help.
    I hope you feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete