Today I took LD to the pediatrician for a non-routine appointment. This would be the second non-routine appointment of his life. Yeah his Mom is a worrier...about everything. The first time I thought we had thrush, this time his adorable innie belly button has suddenly become a grape sized outtie. I noticed it about a week and a half ago and said to DH I hope that's not a hernia, with the intention of consulting Dr. Google for some pictures to hopefully reassure me it was not a hernia. Fast forward to a week and a half later and I FINALLY remembered to check Dr. Google(yeah I suck as a Mom), who quickly confirmed for me it was indeed a hernia. Then Dr. Google preceeded to tell me all the bad things that can happen with a belly button hernia. Screw you Dr. Google, don't you know I'm a first time Mom? Anyway that led to LD and Mommy's first visit alone to the pedi. It went well. He is ten pounds ten ounces. Seriously?!?!?! Yep, seriously. Almost four pounds in almost seven weeks. Crazy!!!! It's probably completely normal baby growth but to DH and I, first time baby raisers, it sounds insane!! Sure makes every second I spend pumping feel damn worth it, I know he's getting big and strong thanks to this stuff I spend hour upon hour harvesting. He does indeed have a small hernia. The pedi reassured me it's nothing to worry about and said it's really quite common. She actually pushed LD's belly button back in to check the size of the hole. Reminded me of the OB checking me when we were waiting for labor to begin. LD's ab muscles are only 1 cm dilated. :) Translation there's just a very small hole and it should close on it's own just fine. She said the chance of a complication is less than 1/2% so I was glad she helped bring me down after Dr. Google had me worried. Other than that life is going well with us. DH went back to day shift this week and LD and I are getting into what will be our normal schedule most of the time. I prefer having DH here in the evenings, if we get a fussytime that's when it hits. Fussytimes aren't often anymore, but we are blessed with them occasionally.
This month holds a few things that I'm dreading, and a few I'm looking forward to. The good things are my Grandma is coming to meet her Great Grandson and LD will finally be two months so he can freely be taken out in public without me feeling like everyone is going to make him sick. The bad are the two month pedi appointment and DH being gone for a week. I spent so much time during pregnancy reading about breastfeeding and labor trying to learn all I could. I knew I should have been researching vaccinations because I'm not sure if we want to do an alternative vaccine schedule or just go with what the pedi normally does. I've been meaning to get to the library and get Dr. Sears' Vaccine Book but it hasn't happened yet, and even if I do I'm not sure when I plan to read it. I'm scared to start researching because I'm afraid I'll read things that will make me lose my mind. DH & I agree that we don't feel the vaccines cause autism. An alternative vaccination schedule in our minds is to avoid overloading LD's immune system with a slew of vaccines all at once. One of my cats, who is my furry son, had a nasty reaction to a series of vaccines given all at once. While my cat is not a human baby he is about the same size and the reaction is fresh in my mind. I've had every intention of researching how we'd like to go about vaccinations but have not found the time.
This week LD has really started smiling at us and chatting away. He continues to sleep through the night and has had a few eight and nine hour nights. His favorite place in the world is the changing table. Put him on that table and he will break out into a smile and start a conversation almost immediately. I think he's just trying to lull us into an unsuspecting state so he can then hose us down. It works. His likes and dislikes become more evident everyday, although something he liked last week or even yesterday he may not like today.
Cute pic! And Great post! I had to laugh about Dr. Google. I'm doing good not worrying about the baby (in my old life pre-meeting hubby I was a major insomniac worry-wort but now I'm laid back like he is). It will be so great having your grandma in town. You'll do great when your husband goes out of town; you rock as a mommy!! I can't wait for 8 and 9 hour nights like you!
ReplyDeleteLove love love his outfit! Too cute!
ReplyDeleteOh look at that handsome man! He is gorgeous:-).
ReplyDelete4 pounds is good weight gain- you're looking for in between 1-2 pounds/month at first. What a great little guy!
J.E.A.L.O.U.S. of the 8-9 hour sleep stretches at night. When did that start happening???
ReplyDeleteI'm having a hard time with the vaccines too. I don't know what to do, it's so hard. I don't want to overload K's immune system if I don't have to.
We get pee'd on at least once a day as well, but K hates the changing table :) LOVE the pic!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteJust too cute!!! I love the big grin!! :)
ReplyDeleteLet me know what you decide about the vaccines. I totally forgot about them.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete