Sunday, September 19, 2010

Carseat Info...

The seat we ended up getting Little Dude is the Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL. It's one of two seats on the market in the US that rear face to 45 pounds. The other is also made by Sunshine Kids and is the Radian 80SL, it's basically the same seat as the XTSL it just doesn't have the headwings. Both seats also allow you to use LATCH to install them all the way through the 80 pounds they hold, as long as your vehicle was manufactured after 2005. LATCH isn't any safer than using a seatbelt to install but I find LATCH to be easier for me to get a secure install. Our other seat is a Britax and that only allows LATCH to 35 pounds I believe. Some seats tell you to go by what your vehicle manufacturer says is the limit for their LATCH, usually 40 pounds it seems. The XTSL and 80SL also fold up nice and flat for travel. They will fit in the overhead bin of an aircraft. They are far from light though. The frame is steel so they are a hefty 30 pounds, which isn't too big of a deal unless you are trying to travel with it. Because of the high shell height of the seat and the high weight limit we shouldn't have to buy LD another seat until he's ready for a booster at 6-7 years old. The Radian's also don't expire until 8 years after they were manufactured whereas most other seats expire after 6 years. It is a very skinny seat so you can fit 3 across even in smaller vehicles, but it is a very tall seat so it doesn't install well in every vehicle. Luckily we have a big old Honda Pilot so it fits just fine, however we couldn't fit another one rear facing. LD's is in the center and the driver's seat has to be moved a forward to ensure it doesn't touch. So if we are blessed with another baby we'll have to reassess our seating situation at that time. They are pricey retailing for $299.99. I have been watching for sales for about a month now. I hit the jackpot the other night when Kohl's started their 30% off online sale. I combined the 30% off with the 20% off baby sale that was ending. They were also offering $10 for every $50 you spent. So I ended up getting the seat for $172 with $30 Kohl's cash making it $142. I got pretty lucky. LD went for his first ride in his big boy seat today and seemed to really enjoy it. He was chattering away and didn't fuss even once.

Our other carseat for our second car is a Britax Roundabout 50. Last we checked LD doesn't quite fit it yet so I don't know whether he'll like it or not. In a rear facing seat the harness must be at or below the baby's shoulders. I got that one on clearance at Target for $49.99 so it was another steal of a deal. That seat only rear faces to 35 pounds and forward faces to 50.

The best carseat to get is the one that fits your child, fits your vehicle, and can be installed and used correctly each and every time you use it.

An amazing website for carseat information that I completely recommend is www.car-seat.org. There are carseat technicians and people who love carseats so much they collect them like others collect shoes and purses. You can find a wealth of information and great carseat recommendations there.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness, thank you soo much for the details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are a car seat pro! I just get overwhelmed! I've gotta wade in sooner or later, though, so it's great to know why you picked each one.

    ReplyDelete