and gents(though I think the only gent who reads my blog is DH) you are all my new heroes. Whether you are indeed truly the sole caretaker of your child, or whether you are left alone often due to a significant other with a travel filled job, you do an amazing thing. Last week DH spent the week away for work and what a week it was. I'm ashamed to admit it was pretty overwhelming for me. I knew that with DH here I often find myself with not enough hours in the day to accomplish all that needs accomplishing but getting it done while parenting solo? Impossible. I never stood a chance. DH's job is one that can basically completely consist of travel. During my pregnancy I was pretty terrified to be left alone so he managed to get out of most travel due to an incredibly understanding boss. Now however it's time to pay that favor back. This was the first time LD and I were left alone together and my level of respect, reverence, and awe for single parents grew ten fold. This week Little Dude wanted to be held EVERY moment of EVERY day. The swing and his playmat, while usually acceptable for a little while each day proved unacceptable this week. The bedtime routine that we'd agreed upon previously, out the window. He caught onto the fact that jammies, rocking in the dark, and a bottle were followed by being laid down and left alone. He just didn't want to be alone. DH is back now and I've almost caught up with things that fell by the wayside last week.
Little Dude is doing so well. He's growing and changing by the day. When his dad came home he was amazed at how much had changed in just a week. I guess I was supposed to push the pause button on the growing and changing front until he returned. He is now all smiles for us and loves it when we sing to him. It doesn't matter what you sing, any song will do. This week LD will finally meet his other grandpa and his wife. His uncle will also be visiting as well. After that we're getting ready for LD's first plane trip. I'm certainly more anxious about this than he is. He normally sleeps during the time we'll be flying so I'm hoping he will sleep just fine on the plane. We don't have any connections and the flight is only about 2 hours. We're used to flying with carry on bags only and packing relatively light. But with a baby there's no such thing as packing light. It's a good thing all his clothes are so little and fold up so nicely. He also loves the Ergo and Beco carriers we have so there's no need to haul the jogging stroller along.
Now would be a good time to update about our cloth diapering experiences. We have solved the overnight heavy wetter issues. We are really loving our gDiapers!! They are so easy and work very well. LD is already in the medium size ones. Occasionally I'll put him in a Bum Genius 3.0 AIO but it's become rare. We don't use the Flips or Katydid's either. I found the Flip cover was impossible to keep clean and the Katydid's just haven't really fit well yet. His legs are filling out so they may begin to fit soon. We've basically become a gDiaper-only family and they are working well for us. Now that he's in the mediums I've begun using gCloth and I have to say I love it much more than the flushables(which we were throwing away not flushing). We still use flushies when we are going out and about but the cloth are so incredibly easy as well. While my grandma was visiting she did a lot of diaper changes and she was amazed at how far cloth diapers have come from pins and plastic pants. All in all I'm very happy with our diapering choice.
I think Little Dude just freaked out all week because he knew daddy was gone!! Probably explains why he is back to normal now! Babies are soooo smart! Blaine does that MAJORLY which stinks because Nick goes on like 5 trips in 6 weeks quite often. But I'm with you on having 200% respect for single parents.
ReplyDeleteGOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRIP WITH BABY!! You are very brave! But I'm sure he will do great :)
I have SO been there, and I SO feel your pain, especially on the wanting to be held constantly issue. I'm glad things are back to "normal" around your house now. I have NO idea how single parents do it and maintain any sanity, especially if working full time
ReplyDeleteMan, single mommy isn't any fun. I'm glad your DH is home for now ... here's to hoping that those overnight trips are few and far between. Reading your post makes me feel bad for Matt ... I have a few overnights coming up in the coming months and he'll be all alone with K.
ReplyDeleteI am impressed with your single mommy work and I don't know how true single parents do it. On Monday TFO had a business dinner so we were on our own for an extra 4 hours and that was nearly overwhelming for me by the end. I know it will get easier as he gets older, but all the same I am glad that TFO doesn't have any business trips between now and the end of the year!
ReplyDeleteMy dad has a friend who is giving us a couple of small g-diapers to try. We will get them when they visit in a couple of weeks. Considering your love for them I am looking forward to checking them out.