On the topic of vaccines I'm going to do a little PSA here and ask everyone to please get their TDap booster. I got mine a little over a week ago and yes my arm hurt for a few days afterward but knowing that I'm less likely to get whooping cough and pass it to an unvaccinated little one, my own or someone else's, feels good.
We've gotten tired of carting his heavy infant carseat around with him in it so we bought his new convertible carseat this week. During pregnancy I did a lot of research on carseats and learned so much that I never would have considered had I not done the research. The AAP now recommends that children stay rear facing until 2 years old or they outgrow their seat. Rear facing is something like 700% safer than forward facing for children. In the Scandinavian countries they rear face their children in small vehicles to 55 pounds. If you doubt how much safer rear facing is go to Youtube and search for the videos. It's shocking. So we bought the only seat in the US market so far that rear faces to 45 pounds. When I tell people we plan to do extended rear facing with him I get all sorts of reactions. Mostly people tell me how uncomfortable he'll be. My DH & I laugh at that. First of all he'll never know what it's like to forward face, until he's old enough and big enough, and you can't long for what you've never done. Secondly people think his legs will be squished and likely to be broken, to which I answer there's never been a documented case of legs being broken due to extended rear facing, and I'll take a broken leg to internal decapitation anyday. OK I'll get off my soapbox now and share with you the picture of Little Dude in his Big Boy carseat...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteOmgoodness, I didn't even know that those exsisted! I need to look into that seat!
ReplyDeleteYeah, let us know what that seat it. Obviously when everything lurches forward like it would in most accident cases it is easy to see why they are so much safer facing back!
ReplyDeleteGlad you made a decision about vaccines that you and your pediatrician feel good about. :)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteHe's so cute!! Happy 2 months!
ReplyDelete