Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Where in the world...

When I type that title I hum the Carmen Sandiego theme song in my head. Go ahead, read it again. See...catchy isn't it? Goodness where oh where have I been? Oh you know in total freak out land. Like absolute almost panic attack freak out mode. Why you ask? Let me fill ya in. So apologies if my last post struck people as a whine because I was sad to say good-bye to the white flour, white rice, and most importantly the white potatoes. It wasn't meant to evoke sympathy, but sounded kinda whiny when I re-read it. I've been endeavoring to eat healthy. It's going pretty well. I tried to banish those things from my diet originally, but really is that realistic? Nope. So taking a lesson from my blog title I've adopted a baby steps approach. I don't get mad at myself or feel guilty when those things pass my lips, I just try to remember the next meal to make better choices.

Last Thursday I noticed a rash had formed on my inner elbow. Now some background, for the last month an officemate of mine has been running around the office itching the crap out of herself complaining about an unidentified rash. She'd seen an ER doc, her regular doc, and a dermatologist and no one could tell her what the hell was going on with her. I've been absolutely bathing myself in 99% isopropyl alcohol and washing my computer, desk, chair, not touching the doorknob. I wear turtleneck sweaters and run the other way when she's around. I mean I was terrified to get this damn rash. Not because I care about me, but for LD's sake. During my last OB visit I mentioned it to my doc and she said don't worry. Yeah, me not worry...not gonna happen. Imagine my surprise and alarm when I notice the rash on my elbow. I immediately got in touch with my OB's office and the nurse said use Claritin. I hate medicine. I hate taking medicine. I like to tough things out. So I ignored that advice. On Friday night it was spreading. I went to the after hours clinic and the doc there said it was an allergic reaction due to the localized nature. She recommended I put .5% hydrocortisone on it. As she was telling me this I watched over her shoulder as she prescribed it and overrode a warning about it being harmful during pregnancy. WTF? Then she blew me off when I pointed that out. No way was I putting that on my body. Saturday it actually started to go away on its own. Sunday it was worse than ever, on both arms now. We washed all our clothes, sheets, blankets in dye free, fragrance free detergent over the weekend. Monday I talked to my OB. She said try the Claritin and let her know if it doesn't get better. I broke down and took children's Claritin. It's going away. Thank goodness.

After my last OB appointment I started to get concerned about the fact that my doc doesn't check my cervix at my appointments. I mean what if LD falls out? So I asked her and she told me there's no reason to check it, at my 20w ultrasound it looked great. I explained my anxiety and she told me she'd be glad to check it if I wanted. So I went today and she checked it out. Of course it's long and closed and fine. Nice I can't believe I shared that with the internet community, but yeah, it's good. I apologized profusely for being so worried about EVERYTHING. Thankfully she understands and said she's more than willing to see me as much as I need to stay sane. She did an ultrasound and LD was looking amazing as always!! She told me Saturday marks 24w which is viability and we should go celebrate, I don't bother correcting her. Really last Sunday was 24w, so we have achieved viability. Of course I tell LD all the time July is the most amazing month to be born, so I don't expect to see him before then. I just found out the third movie in the Twilight series comes out June 30 so he for sure needs to wait until after I've seen that movie. I will have no time to see a movie with a newborn!! :) Oh and this is my last week of work!! YES!! OH SO HAPPY!! What am I going to do with myself for the next 3 1/2 months? Who knows, but it's not going to be stressful that's for darn sure!! :) Oh and my healthier-whole grain eating habits cost me a pound. Today's visit to the OB showed that I actually lost a pound!! Not the goal and by no means the outcome I was looking for. Guess I'll have to have some chocolate cake to earn that pound back. :)