Tuesday, December 15, 2009

How are you feeling? Never really a question...

This question has become the bane of my existence. When people IRL(in real life) ask me this question the conversation always ends with me more scared than anything. People don't really want to know how you're feeling, they want to tell you how you SHOULD be feeling, according to them. I find myself justifying how I'm feeling. You can't tell people you feel fine when you're pregnant. They don't believe you. But guess what? I do. I feel fine. I'm more tired than usual. Exhausted in the evenings in fact, but during the day I really feel fine. I have moments of nausea, they last no more than 15 minutes. I'm starting to get dizzy more often, Baby Bean has all my blood flow concentrated in my uterine area so my brain is being robbed a little. If I stand up too fast I sometimes almost pass out. The girls had a growth spurt, but luckily I had a lot of room to grow into so it hasn't required a special trip to Victoria's Secret to upgrade their living abode. The growth seems to have slowed now. I'm warmer, I used to always be cold but now DH is always commenting how warm I am to the touch. Not feverish, I always check my temp when he comments about how warm I am. I've had plenty of people at work, where I haven't told many people I'm pregnant, come up to me and declare they know that I'm pregnant. No one is telling them this, they all tell me they can see it in my face. "You always break out that like you are when you're pregnant." Awesome. I work with the most sensistive people. My most annoying symptom, (warning this one is TMI)-I haven't been to the bathroom for days. No amount of prune juice, increased fiber, fruits and veggies, fluid intake, or whole grains is helping that problem. My OB assured me last week that this problem would continue throughout the pregnancy. Cool, can't wait. But I'm not complaining. I'm pregnant. More pregnant than I've ever been. No reason to complain.



These symptoms and discomforts aren't enough for most people. Most people tell me lack of morning sickness is a warning sign that something is going wrong. They tell me I should be sick all the time, it's a good sign, it means things are going well. Even the damn What to Expect When You're Expecting Book has been retired because I feel like that woman is an alarmist. I can't stand to read all the things I MUST be feeling according to her. I've talked to both my RE and my OB and both have assured me not EVERY woman feels miserable. When I was going through fertility treatments I never had side effects for any of the meds. Clomid, Follistim, Menopur, Lupron, HCG trigger, none of these ever had any effect on me, other than their desired purpose. I felt great on stims, just like I feel great during pregnancy. Am I worried, even though I have been told by my doctors I shouldn't? Hell yeah. Why? Because everyone is telling me what I should be feeling. I spend the day trying to force myself to feel things I'm just not feeling. It's scary.

5 comments:

  1. My sister never felt an twinge of morning sickness all through her pregnancy and my nephew came out just perfect (he's almost a year and a half).

    Enjoy feeling fine sweetie, you so deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I think it's great and just fine that you are feeling all peachy-keen! Girl, that's awesome. I was just thinking this morning (while upchucking my breakfast of brown rice) that people who have had to get pregnant via ART methods should get a pass from all of the nasty pregnancy symptoms. So the fact that you are feeling good ... well I think you are getting a "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made you so miserable during IF - here, enjoy your pregnancy" from the IF Gods. And that, my friend, is awesome! You hear it all the time, people say that they never felt better while pregnant - and I hope you are one of those people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crossroads is right...you've been through enough. I just told my mother-in-law how sick I was and she told me she was lucky, she felt amazing all throughout ALL 4 of her pregnancies! I have always been sensitive to hormonal swings and apparently you just aren't. And trust me, just because I am sick and everyone tells me that is a good sign, it doesn't really make me less nervous. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote they're just bitter that you're not having horrible symptoms. Screw 'em.

    I hate hate hate constipation, so you have my utmost sympathy there.

    ReplyDelete