Saturday, August 7, 2010

Three Weeks...

Today the Dude is 3 weeks old. Three weeks!! He has grown so much in three weeks. He is now up from 6lbs 15oz to 8lbs 6oz. He's outgrown everything in newborn size and most of the 0-3 month size as well. He's outgrown his first size of cloth diapers. He's had quite a few adventures out and about. A few Babies R Us, some Targets, a restaurant here and there, and some grocery stores. We took him for a walk by the water and broke in his stroller. He helped negotiate his first new car deal and has thoroughly enjoyed breaking in his new Pilot.


I have been so lucky that my DH took 3 weeks off to help out when LD was born. Those three weeks come to an end tomorrow evening. I'm a little terrified. It seems like this parenting thing almost requires at least a second set of hands around, a third is like an awesome bonus. I haven't quite mastered the pumping and feeding LD at the same time thing, or even holding him while I pump. So that will be my first challenge to master. We'll make it through though. On the pumping front things are going well, I'm averaging a little over 40oz every 24 hours and the Dude is drinking anywhere from 16-25oz a day. I started freezing some of the extra for use in case I'm not always able to stay ahead of his demand.

Being a mom is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Waking up every morning and looking over at LD sleeping in the co-sleeper I realize that I am the luckiest lady in the world because I get to be his mom. He has made all my dreams come true and each day keeps getting better and better!!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW in the world have you guys accomplished so much in a 3 week span - WITH BREASTFEEDING? I bow to you ... you are my idol. Just 5 days in and I can't even begin to think about daily tasks. We went to the Pedi today and then to go and get a cheap bassinet for our bedroom and little kitten was cranky and ready to go home - and we feed in 3-4 hr stretches!
    PLUS I haven't managed to read the first blog all week long!
    Happy three week b-day Little Dude - you have one rockin' mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari- I saw your comment over at Julie's and my heart just dropped. With both my kids, bf was hard at first- it was a total slog for at least the first 4-5 weeks, until it became a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful relationship somewhere around 6-8 weeks. My son just turned 3 months old (today!) and with him it was especially hard.
    I say this because, if you want, I would encourage you to keep trying to bf. With both kids, I would supplement with bottles to help them get what they needed until they could nurse effectively.
    Obviously, I do not know why you decided to pump exclusively. If that's that's the right choice for you, then pleas eignore my well meaning comment :-).
    I just feel there's not necessarily enough support, or information, out there. I don't know why my kids couldn't get enough at first- my nipples are too big, one turns out, maybe a bit of tongue tied...but I do know they grew out of it, and we did less and less supplementing, and nursing went better and better, after weeks 4 & 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable. I am glad that everything is going well. I have to admit that I am sort of la-la-la not listening to your BF tales because I am freaked out enough about trying to BF with PCOS, but I am glad that the pumping is going well and that you are staying ahead of his appetite and able to start banking some for later.

    ReplyDelete