My sweet angel baby has morphed. During week 3 he went from the calm and easily consoled Little Dude he'd been since we started bottle feeding him to his new incarnation, Fussy McFusserton. This week there were times when absolutely NOTHING we did led to any consolation at all on his part. He wasn't wet, dirty, hungry, cold, hot, tired, overstimulated, understimulated, feverish... He wasn't any of these things and when we tried to offer help for any of them just in case, he screamed even louder. Banshee shrieking. I don't know if this is all babies, I was never a babysitter and I'm an only child so I have no real baby experience, or just Little Dude but when he gets real upset about something he shrieks and forgets to breathe. We stand there reminding him to breathe, breathe, breathe. As if he really understands what we're saying. Those days and nights were a little difficult. The worst of which was the night DH went back to work, of course. Little Dude screamed for nearly 3 hours straight and there was absolutely no consoling him. Talk about feeling like a terrible Mom. The first night you're parenting solo and you can't even meet your kid's needs. Add to that my dad was here and trying to offer suggestions that weren't working, but also witnessing this colossal failure on my part. It sucked. The next day we took Little Dude to the pediatrician because I was worried he had thrush, long story, but I was hoping the fussiness could be attributed to something easily fixable. Negative on the thrush. The pediatrician offered that it was possible he has the dreaded 5 letter c word. Colic. We're watching to see if some sort of pattern emerges or if he really actually meets the criteria for colic. So far it seems he just really has some times when he is just quite, quite, quite fussy. Colic requires at least 3 3 hour crying sessions 3 weeks in a row to actually be diagnosed as colic. We aren't quite there yet and I really hope we don't get there.
Two days ago I put on a pair of my pre-pregnancy jeans and they actually fit!! I'm not normally a jeans wearer anyway, I opt for casual/sloppy comfort over worrying about looking presentable most of the time. Don't get me wrong I'm not leaving the house in stained and holey Hanes sweatpants, but give me a good comfortable pair of Yoga pants any day and I'll take them over the jeans. When I slid that pair of jeans on and it buttoned I actually felt pretty damn good, so I may be wearing jeans more often now. Not all my pre-pregnancy pants fit, and this is probably the only pair of jeans. I did toss one pair on the floor that didn't fit before trying on the ones that did. I didn't want to depress myself so I just wore the first ones that fit, rather than try on others.
Saturday Little Dude will be one month old...one month...where did the time go?
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteOh no! OH NO! I'm so sorry :( :( :(
ReplyDeleteWe've only had one banshee shrieking session and it nearly broke my heart so I cannot imagine it lasting for 3(+) hours at a stretch. I too fear the word colic and I don't even want to begin to imagine that K will turn into a monster at week 3. But everyone keeps telling me that it's bound to happen - damn them! It's like they are cursing the situation to happen.
K seems to get periods of fussiness at around 7-8pm every night so I can see longer stints in our future. Right now she isn't screaming.
I sure hope that Little Dude will calm down sooner rather than later so that you can rest and feel better.
On the weight loss front - congratulations!!! That is so awesome girlie :) :) :)
You don't have to answer this, but do you have a little flab in the stomach area from your left-over bump skin? My stomach seems to be getting flabbier by the day and I'd have expected it to get tighter.
*sigh*
I hope my pre-pregnancy jeans fit before Fall arrives :)
You are doing an amazing job, Kari!!! Now, if only those little things could just talk....
ReplyDeleteCongrats on fitting into the jeans!
Hopefully Fusserstilskin will ease up on Mommy soon!
So sorry you're dealing with all that screaming! We had a transition from so quiet to fussy at that point too but definitely not as bad as what you've got. Would you consider using gripe water? I talked about it on my last two posts. It contains ginger and fennel and is supposed to soothe little tummies (thats actually the brand name - little tummys) and a lot of people think colic may be mostly tummy issues. Good luck whatever you guys do!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh you totally have my sympathies for the fussy baby. I couldnt imagine scream-crying for 3 hours. Blaine scream-cried once for like 3 minutes in the car and I thought he was dying (forgetting to breath and all that). Hope things improve :(
ReplyDeleteWith 8 lbs to go, I am NO WHERE NEAR fitting in any pants that have zippers :(. When I started exercising more (yeah I know I'm not cleared for that LOL) my bleeding started again (TMI) so I stopped that pronto. Gah.
Oh man- so sorry, my daughter went thru this. Try some gas drops- sometimes they have gas. Also get The Happiest Baby on the Block- trying the 5 SSSs with Chloe worked wonders. Not sure I remember them all- and you're supposed to do them in order- but basically it's suck. swaddle, side, swing and SHHHH (very gutterally and loudly).
ReplyDeleteIt does get better- Chloe was mostly through it by abotu 3 months, I think.
oh- and maybe a change of scenery- we've noticed with both kids that sometimes they would get fussy around 4-6pm, and if we took them outside, they would quiet down and look around. Change of scenery maybe? Hope this helps!
ReplyDelete