Thursday, April 22, 2010

Less Than 10 Weeks...

Until LD is considered full term!! Monday when it was 10 weeks exactly and I realized it, my whole world sort of stopped for a moment. Ten weeks seems like nothing after three plus years of waiting and all we've been through. I fully realize that first babies tend to be late, not early, so I'm prepared to be pregnant for more than the next ten weeks, but 37 weeks to me is our next big milestone. We've reached viability so to me the next goal is full term-ness. I have plenty of talks with my little man espousing the greatness of being a July baby. I'm certain there's no better month to be born.

This afternoon we did our hospital tour. For those who follow Mic over at IF Crossroads, we're actually going to the same hospital so some of this may be redundant for you. I won't get into too many details except to say that my biggest fear was pretty much diminished. This hospital wasn't my first choice, simply because the other option guaranteed me a private room once LD arrives, but that hospital is further away-in DC traffic further away is not necessarily a do-able thing. According to our sweet grandmotherly Nurse/Tour Guide in the last two years they have never not been able to give someone who desires a private room their wish. So fingers crossed I won't be the person who can't be accommodated(and when Mic's there fingers crossed for the same thing for her). The pregnant ladies on the tour with us, well they were a source of entertainment in themselves. I believe if a pre-admission epidural was available they would have had that done today, they seemed quite anxious for the pain relief. DH & I marveled at their ability to walk in two to four inch heels while carrying handbags so large they probably wouldn't pass as carry ons on an airplane, all while being quite literally eight or nine months pregnant. Some days I can't even walk barefoot since I've been pregnant, so I cannot imagine heels during pregnancy. Seeing those sweet little babies in the nursery really made it all hit home, in just a few months our little guy will be born there!! It was so calm and orderly. They seem to be very supportive of rooming-in and breastfeeding, which are both things I very much desire. Overall I would say the tour definitely took some of the anxiety away from the thought of the hospital.