Parenting A Fabulous Toddler After A Struggle With Infertility and Pregnancy Loss
Monday, September 24, 2012
In the ER Again...
LD has been sick literally since the end of July. I swear. Continuously sick. Sure he has some good days when I think he's better, but overall he really has been sick since a week or so after his two year appointment. Am I blaming the shots? I dunno. Maybe. We spaced things out and he still isn't completely vaxed, but he's only missing a Hep vax and his flu shot at this point so he's practically completely vaxed. I do think his immune system was not in tip top shape after the shots in July and that's how he ended up sick in the first place, and then he kept getting more and more sicknesses. Back to back. I just can't even wrap my head around a kid being sick this much. Really. Especially a kid who doesn't go to daycare, preschool, playplaces at malls/restaurants...where the hell is he getting these germs? Seriously. Anyway on Friday he woke up from nap gasping and coughing. He couldn't breathe at all. Of course DH, who travels often for work, was gone on a work trip. My grandma and her boyfriend were visiting so thankfully I wasn't alone. I was freaking out. Since we went to the ER in January I knew exactly where to go after trying to get a hold of my insurance company to get pre-auth to go to the ER I decided I didn't give a damn if I had it and I needed to get there and help my son breathe. We quickly loaded into the car and headed out. Of course it was 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon in one of the worst traffic areas in the country. Thankfully we made it within 15 minutes. The admitting person immediately identified it as croup as we walked in and LD did his cough as he was still gasping for air. Two hours later we were walking out with a kid who was back to his self again. Thank goodness for steroids. Fast forward two days later and it all went to hell again. The steroids wore off and he was breathing fast and miserable. I spent the day yesterday agonizing over whether to take him back to Urgent Care or wait it out. I hate the ER and urgent care because it's full of sick people. You're exposing yourself to more germs and in our case since he's been sick for months the last thing I wanted to do was expose him to more germs. We followed up with our ped today and he's doing much, much better. We have a steroid to give him in case it gets bad again, but for now I think we're past the peak of the croup. I'm planning to build him a bubble to help keep him away from all the germs that have been making him sick, or maybe I'll send him out to play in some dirt, stop washing his hands before eating, and let him lick shopping carts. Not sure what will help at this point. We do weekly playgroups so he is exposed to other kids germs, but they never get sick. He always does. I need his immune system to get stronger because when the baby comes home I don't want to worry about the newborn getting sick too. Any good tips or tricks you use to keep your kids healthy???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ugh, that sucks. Croup is scary.
ReplyDeleteFor what it's worth, I was/am a SUPER lucky (sarcasm) person who had croup a lot as a kid and as old as undergrad had to go to the hospital for steroid shots when I got sick. Anyway, I still have problems with it as a delayed response to a virus...as in I will get sick, feel totally recovered and then a few days later come down with croup-y crap ( though no steroids anymore at least).. So regardless being sick since July is too much, but this might not be a NEW bug for LD. I am not sure if croup manifests the same way in everyone though.
I hope LD can kick it all soon!
Ack, Mama! I am so sorry...I know that had to be scary. Poor kiddo (and poor mama, too). I wish that I had some sage advice but I really don't. The only thing we use on a regular basis is probiotics (we use the Cu.ltur.ell.e brand granules...it's just a little tube of powder that I mix with her applesauce or yogurt or milk once a day). We started using them a loooooooooooong time ago when PJ was having GI problems and found when reading up on them that they help keep the flora in the gut healthy which in turn helps not only the GI/bowel tract (which you obviously didn't mention) but helps keep other systems in the body healthy, too, including the immune system. It wouldn't hurt to research it and see if it might help...I certainly wouldn't think it would hurt. There are probably lots of other things out there, too, but don't G.oo.gl.e yourself to death, okay?? You've got enough on your hands! :)
ReplyDeleteHope that LD gets to feeling 100% soon...and stays that way! Hugs to you!
Oh sweetie, I feel for you! In the first two years of my DD life she had about 35 illnesses...it was insane. The croup was one of them and I remember how scared I was. Sorry you and your LO have been going through this. My best guess is that your DH brings home a lot of germs from traveling so much. They are most likely things that you are both immune to but not your LO. Maybe he could be sure to change clothes and wash his hands well when arriving home from traveling in an effort not to expose your LD? Just a thought...
ReplyDeletenot that i'm a doctor, but i was a super super sick child myself. i feel for me it was an "allergy kid" thing. i think having allergies compromises your immune system enough that you get sick more, and when you do get sick, it is worse than an average person. still true in my adult self. do you or your husband have allergies that you could have passed on to LD? just an idea!!
ReplyDeleteWe tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use donor eggs. I knew we have to try herbal made medicine. I was terrified. I didn't know how to go about it and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended me to Dr Itua herbal medicine in Western African. I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country and I was afraid with shame I must say I thought it was a little bit...wild? Anyway she convinced me to at least check it out. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses Natural Herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. I and My Husband give a try and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. The doctors and staff were so confident and hopeful they projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua and Lori My Dear Friend. Don’t be afraid and just do it! Try Dr itua herbal medicine today and sees different in every situaton.Dr Itua Contact Info...Whatsapp+2348149277967/drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua have cure for the following diseases.All types of cancer,Liver/Kidney inflamatory,Fibroid,Infertility.Herpes Virus.
ReplyDelete