Thursday, January 12, 2012

Stranger Danger...

For the past five or six months people constantly ask if LD has started the stranger danger phase when I tell them how old he is. I was thankful he hadn't. Until last week... We hadn't been to playgroup for a few weeks due to the holidays. When we walked into the host's house we had an immediate meltdown. I was holding him and wasn't attempting to put him down but he clung on for dear life. Anytime someone, mom or baby, tried to approach him he went bananas again. He finally calmed down when we went into another room alone. By the end of the playgroup he was playing just fine. This week we tried a library storytime and another playgroup with the same results. This morning we went to a preschool open house and had another strange place/stranger induced meltdown. So the stranger danger phase has begun, just in time for vacation. :)

Speaking of preschool, my goodness I have no idea what the heck I am doing when it comes to picking a preschool. I went to a preschool fair today and I had no clue what to ask or what I should be looking for. I'm unable to wrap my head around sending my son to school in 8 months. He seems so young still. I know it will be good for both of us to have some time apart but I keep asking myself if he'll really be ready, or maybe it's will I be ready? Anyway if you're considering preschool what things are you looking for? And what age are you thinking you'll start? What should I be looking for? Registrations start next week and I know if I don't make decisions quickly we'll be out of the running this year.

3 comments:

  1. We had stranger danger earlier - like 12-16 months. It was bad - we even got kicked out of a daycare! Then we went to a family wedding that hubby and I were both in and she was passed around to "strangers" all weekend. After that she was much better. Good luck!

    I don't know about preschool - I thought that didn't start until 3 years old! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't hit the stranger danger too hard yet (just the hardcore "no one but mommy is good enough"). I can imagine it has the potential to totally wreck a vacation for mom, though. Ugh.

    I don't know anything about preschool. I'm waiting for everyone else to figure it out first. ;) I do know that I'm most interested in a Montessori program and there's one walking distance from our house which has the added bonus of an inter-generational program. So I will probably look there and not much further if it seems like a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess i'm still stuck in the 1980's when preschool was "pre" school, you know like the year before school: when you are four!! LOL. the person above me mentioned montessori, my little cousins go there and from what i can see, IT IS AMAZING! however, i most likely will go the traditional route and send blaine to a church's preschool when he's 4.

    ReplyDelete