Thursday, December 1, 2011

Mom FAIL...and FAIL...and FAIL...

Today my chances for mother of the year were blown for sure. The day started out fine but during naptime it all went to hell. I decided to catch up on my Facebooking during nap and discovered I'm about to be hit by a pregnancy announcement that I'm not ready for. Through the cryptic messages I realized there's a 99.6% chance a bomb's about to drop. Even though I sort of knew this was going to happen sooner or later I absolutely wasn't ready for it. I was suddenly emotionally hurled back 2 1/2 years. My chest caved in and I felt a huge hole being punched through my heart. DH wasn't available to help me pick up the pieces so I called my mom. Sobbing I tried to convey what I was feeling but it's so hard to put into words. In the course of the sobbing I made a comment regarding my age to which my mom replied, "You have plenty of time. Look at Michelle Duggar." WTF? Seriously?!?!!?! Are you kidding me? That was my mom's mom FAIL.

When LD woke up from his nap we went to do errands. This is where my mom FAILS begin. LD is in a stage where he doesn't like to sit in his carseat when it's time to go. Once he's in he's fine but you have to give him incentive to sit. So I handed him a package of yogurt bits.As I started pulling out of the spot I realized my sunglasses were in the backseat, so I jumped out to get them...without putting the truck in park. Mom FAIL. Luckily I caught the truck and no one was hurt. It was a scary few seconds though. When we got to the next stop I saw that LD had tried to eat the package for the yogurt bits and ended up throwing up. And I didn't have an extra set of clothes. Mom FAIL. We needed groceries so I had to take him into the store. So I ended up grabbing one of his hoodies that happened to be in the car and took his dirty outfit off. As I was putting the hoodie on I zipped a little bit of his belly button in the zipper. Mom FAIL. I pushed him around Trader Joe's in a hoodie and a diaper...and it was 40 degrees outside. Mom FAIL. After getting home things didn't get much better. We were playing and he ran away from me and into the kitchen where suddenly he was screaming in pain. I raced in and he was holding his head. I have no idea what he hit it on but he's got a nice shiner. Mom FAIL. *Sigh* Today was a rough day.

6 comments:

  1. We've all had those mom fail moments!! We've all been through it or will go through it (hopefully not the forgetting to put the car in park fail). Just kidding!

    At the end of the day, your little guy is still happy as can be.

    (And it's good to record those moments so when you look back on them, you can laugh at it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! That is a day filled with craziness!

    XOXO
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me when I say that I've been there, too. I kind of have to stop counting my failures after the 923rd one in a day, lest I become uber depressed and have to be medicated. ;)

    Repeat this: IT'S REALLY OKAY. REALLY. :D

    LD is fine. You are fine. Screw what everybody else thinks. :) They've had crappy days, too, even if they won't admit it. And I wish I had some advice about your mom...but really, I think she and my mom must be cut from the same thought as mine would have said the same thing. No one, however close they are to you, can truly understand sometimes how it feels to deal with that sort of thing when you're an IFer, even an IFer with a child.

    Hang in there, Mama. You're going to be alright! Wish I was there to give you a big hug (and drink a big glass of wine with you....you deserve it! ). :D

    P.S. Can you please save this comment so that you can copy and paste it under my next 'Mommy Fail #1,569,203' post?? Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there! These days happen to all of us, unfortunately! Just laugh about it; everyone is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG that is the worst day ever right there!! the part about the diaper and coat in the store made me laugh so hard!

    my bad mom fail story from yesterrday is waaaay too long to fully explain here but it involves getting locked out of a house with blaine, neither of us have on coats or shoes, 30 degrees, getting dark, having a strange man i've never met drive me to my grandma's [no carseat yep mom fail 10000000000] so i could wait until my mom got home to save the day. this stuff happens to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the cool kids are out of the running for Mother of the Year, but man you feel like a total failure in the moment. One time I ran downstairs to grab a laundry basket while L was eating and came back to find him holding the blade end of a paring knife that was apparently not far enough back on the counter. Go me (he was unharmed). I hope today was better. At least you recognized your fails, as opposed to your mom. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete