pretty much wherever we are...unless Little Dude is in bed with Mommy. Bed sharing was never in my plans. Ever. Until LD started to refuse to sleep any other way. A few weeks after birth we had this sweet baby who slept through the night no problem. I know those of you who read my blog and battled with no sleep early on wanted to slap me. Starting about 6 months it came back to bite me in the ass. We thought it was just a growth spurt and hoped things would even out in a few weeks. They didn't. They got progressively worse. Including nights where LD would wake up and scream bloody murder for hours, even when you were holding him. Enter a trip to the pediatrician. He claimed it was separation anxiety. Little Dude was at an age where he would wake up and realize he was alone and be upset. I wasn't exactly convinced since he is sleeping in our room and we'd pick him up and the screaming would continue. It was bad. DH and I were at our wits end. We were exhausted. We would end up with LD on our chests in bed and then we would sleep poorly, worried he was going to roll off, get crushed, etc. But it was the only way to get any sleep even if was poor. So we turned to cry it out. I was not excited about this at all. But desperate times call for desperate measures. And after 56 excruciating minutes(remember he's sleeping in our room so we're front row for the screaming) he fell asleep. The next night was closer to half an hour and then less than 15 minutes the third night. Wow was I impressed. Then he and I left for vacation. *Sigh* Enter sleep problems again. I couldn't do CIO at my parents because a)grandparents die a little inside when their grandkids cry, seriously, they could not just let him cry b)my dad works at 5am so I couldn't let LD cry and keep him awake. So here we are freshly returned from vacation and I think we have to start over with CIO again.
Here we are at 9 months and Little Dude transitioned from the army man crawl, to a real crawl, to cruising furniture in a short matter of weeks. He's pretty unstoppable and any little thing on the floor goes directly into his mouth. He's also quite persistent. If you tell him no and take him away from something he'll ignore it just long enough for you to forget about it and then be right back there messing with it again. No words yet. Solids are going well. He prefers the smoother purees to the thicker textures and fruits to veggies but we're working to expand his palette. We're still looking for a sippy that will interest him. I've tried quite a few but none have struck his fancy.
He and I survived our first solo trip. Nearly two weeks long. Most of it was spent in Nebraska with a weekend in Vegas. He's now been on 10 plane rides. He does fabulous. The biggest hassle is all the stuff that comes with traveling with a baby. But we did just fine, although we missed DH so I don't think we'll go by ourselves again anytime soon.

What a cute little stinker! ;-) Wishing you luck with the CIO...does NOT sound like fun.
ReplyDeleteWow. 9 months old. So adorable!!
ReplyDeleteSleeping issues are tough. Hang in there, Mama! You are rocking this parenthood thing!
TEN plane rides?? Wow, I cannot imagine! That is awesome. I'm sorry to hear about the sleep issues. I really hope CIO goes smoothly and all of you are getting sleep soon. He is so cute!
ReplyDelete10 flights?!!! gooo LD! sleep issues have plagued us since birth. gah. we made it to night 7 with CIO and then quit for illness and then started up again last night. we'll see what happens. it is pretty much the worst thing to listen to so i know why you didnt want to do it at your parents! [especially if LD has perfected the "devil scream" LOL] good luck thanks for the update!! he's looking as cute as ever!!
ReplyDeleteI hope you're able to get back on track soon! Liam is such a cutie pie!!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! Sorry about the sleep stuff. We had some separation anxiety sleep probs too but nothing like that! I hope it gets better soon. Have you ever tried him in another room? I have no idea if that will help, just a thought. I totally hear you about the grandparents too! Both our parents won't let baby cry even a few minutes.
ReplyDeleteI think you are amazing because I won't even take 1 plane ride with Katilin, let alone 10. ((hugs)) momma for having such a rough go with the sleeping. I know you were heartbroken to go the CIO route. I hope that he gets back to his normal happy self really soon!
ReplyDeleteHe's just too cute in that hat! :) I'm so glad the trip went so well (other than the sleep issues). He's just too adorable!
ReplyDeleteI know I'm a super late commenter on this one but I just thought I'd chime in on the sippy cup issue. P never did really like a sippy so we tried one with a straw and she took that like a champ. Just a thought. :)
ReplyDeleteHope you're sleeping better...but I totally understand if you're not. P is a terrible sleeper, regardless of what we do. Not that youhave time to read (HA!!) but if you want some different ideas on the CIO thing, you might want to look at the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. Be aware that she is FIRMLY in the attachment parenting, co sleeping camp but she has some great ideas and premises about they WHY and HOW of babies sleep. She has some suggestions on getting them to sleep better/longer, etc. Of course you would have to take her ideas and apply them to your specific situation with LD and everything certainly doesn't apply to you(or us, for that matter) but there were a few ideas that helped us.
And you are SUPERMOM for traveling so extensively with LD. We do good to make it to Target without a meltdown... ;P