Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Confessions of a Carb Loader...

Not sure if I should vent and then share the positive part of my day, or share the positive and then vent. I guess I'll share the good just in case you don't want to stick around for the bad. I don't blame you. Today I met with Mic from IF Crossroads. She is so cool and kind and it's so nice to sit down with someone who just gets "it". So thanks Mic for being a pleasant ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary day!! And congrats again on officially starting the third trimester at 11am during our meet up!! Whoo hoo we're almost there!!

Ok now the not so fun stuff. This morning was my 30 week appointment. I saw a new OB that I haven't seen before. Scheduling an appointment every two weeks makes it harder to get my usual OB that I'm comfortable with. Since we're not sure who will be on call to deliver LD I should be meeting the possibilities anyway so today was a new one. She was nice and immediately brought up my 1 hour glucose test. I didn't even need to mention it, she was on top of it. I was very impressed!! She strongly urged that I consider the 3 hour test, as her previous practice used 130 as a cut off, so my 137 would have warranted further testing. Cool. No big deal to me, I feel more comfortable with more tests. I'm just weird like that. She told me to be sure to fast and explained the test and said go ahead and do it when you have time. I asked if I needed an appointment with the lab and she said no. Cool. Planned to do it tomorrow morning. Good stuff. Hoping it comes back ok, but if it doesn't we'll adapt and survive. Fast forward to this afternoon. DH & I have an insurance sponsored prenatal class to attend and for convenience decided to attend at the health center closer to our house. I decided that it would be nice to do my test there tomorrow morning versus fighting traffic to get to the further center. I stop into the lab to double check that it shouldn't be a problem since the test was ordered by an OB at a different center. ROAD BLOCK. I'm told not only do I need an appointment, BUT I need to follow a special diet for 3 days before taking the test. WHAT?!?! I am ready to take this damn test NOW. I want an answer and I sure as hell don't want to wait 5 days to take the test plus another day or two for the results. Annoyed. So I trudge upstairs to an unfamiliar OB office to try to get a copy of this magic diet and no one can find one. Heck it takes a while for them to even figure out what I'm talking about. Finally they find a few laying around in Spanish, knew I should have taken that instead of French in high school. Damn. So a nurse promises to bring me one while I'm in the prenatal class. When we got to the prenatal class I searched frantically for the cameras from MTV's 16 and Pregnant. Seriously. I thought it was some kind of joke. Nope. No cameras, no show, real life. Wow. A room full of girls who were an age when I hadn't even yet discovered sex, let alone would have dreamed of being pregnant. Have I ever mentioned how glad I am to be having a son? You ladies who are having or have daughters I wish you all the luck in the world and I promise to counsel my son on the wonderful concept of abstinence. The class description mentioned a video and discussions on how to minimize the discomforts of late pregnancy, signs of labor, "and much, much, more"(exact words) scheduled to last 2 hours. The class was a 25 minute video about labor, which during the important parts that I probably should have been focused on, my 3 day diet was delivered. Guess what? It's how I eat everyday. Yeah, I'm not healthy I guess. It talks about how it's a special carb loading diet to help ensure correct test results, but I eat that way everyday. Now I feel guilty. Real guilty. I'm a carb loader and I've been carb loading my entire pregnancy. :( Ugh. Bad mom. So anyway when the video was over the nurse asked if we had any questions, and only one of the Teen Moms dared to speak. She was worried about tearing. Nurse assured her most first timers do. Sweet. Next question was from her too, something about how to know if she's really in labor. Nurse just said it varies from person to person. Helpful. Third and final question also from same said Teen Mom. She is concerned about the baby's head being too large to fit through her pelvis and no one discovering this until she's way far into labor. Again Nurse not too helpful, but some of us realize the ridiculousness of this question. so can't fault the Nurse for bascially ignorning it. At that point my two hour prenatal class was over, in less than 30 minutes, and without any new or helpful information. What a waste of my time. It was free and we did get some formula, which we aren't planning to use, but I guess I could look at it like I got paid to go to the class because formula has a market value close to gold, right? Please oh please let my Lamaze class on Saturday, which I paid for, be much more helpful and informative.

My 3 hour test is scheduled for Monday at 8am after my 3 day diet from Friday-Sunday, which really isn't a diet but my everyday eating habits. Wish me luck, I'm already freaking out again about LD being ok in there now that it's been 2 weeks since my 1 hour test and I have to wait another 5 days for the 3 hour test. If you actually made it to the end of this vent you should win a medal. And thanks for reading my neurotic ramblings.