Monday, August 10, 2009

I'm Going To Pass Out...Somehow Not The Safe Word

So sometimes when someone is going to engage in a risky or dangerous activity they establish a safe word to alert others when they've had too much. Today I did not establish a safe word, but should have. We left our family reunion early to come home and do the last of the bloodwork to try to figure out why our babies keep dying. I did a pregnancy test on Sunday and my body has finally realized it's not pregnant...6 weeks later. This afternoon we set out to do the final bloodwork. I knew it would be a lot of blood, but I had no idea just how much was needed. I should have known when the lab tech had a 6 foot long strip of labels for the vials. I used to hate bloodwork but the last few years have made it no big deal to me. When I sat down and saw the huge pile of vials I should have guessed they were for me. As usual the stick was no big deal, but by vial 6 of 37 I was starting to feel woozy. I told the tech I was going to pass out expecting her to stop. She didn't. I assumed "I'm going to pass out" would be the safe word when they're drawing blood. Word of advice to anyone having pints of blood drawn, establish a safe word beforehand. Instead they lay me down and gave me an apple juice. So now I know how to get free apple juice at the lab, but no idea what the safe word is. Hopefully I won't need to know the safe word again because after today I think I'm all out of blood to test. I am hoping with all my heart that the answers to our questions lie somewhere in the 37 vials of blood. The results should be back in about 2 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on your story - hi! You have been through SO much...hoping and praying that these blood tests bring some sort of answer.

    ReplyDelete